Admission to the Undergraduate Program
Every student who wishes to pursue a degree offered in the ECE department must be formally admitted to the university and to the department. All students meeting basic admission criteria for the University are admitted as pre-majors in their respective departments.
Transfer students apply through the Office of Admissions and are considered for admission to the department under the same conditions. The Registrar’s Office, in conjunction with the university’s academic departments, evaluates most courses for transfer.
Transfer Course Equivalencies
Knowing how your course credits from institutions you have previously attended will transfer to UNM is an important part of planning your UNM degree. An official course evaluation will be completed once you apply for admission to a degree program. Before then, UNM’s Transfer Equivalency System (TES) can help you determine how your coursework from other institutions may transfer and be used as part of your UNM degree. The following instructions will help you review individual course equivalencies and build a list of your courses and their UNM equivalents
Click here to see how your courses will transfer to UNM.
For students seeking course equivalency please print the attached form, gather supporting documents (syllabus for each course) and meet with your academic advisor.
ECE degree program admission requirements
Students who meet the following requirements are eligible for admission to the Electrical and Computer Engineering Programs. Admissions is automated based on completion of the following criteria:
- Completion of MATH 162 and Math 163 with a minimum grade of "C";
- Completion of ENGL 110 or its equivalent with a minimum grade of "C";
- Completion of at least 18 credit hours of freshman-year technical subjects (including MATH 162 and 163), with a minimum grade of "C" and a GPA of 2.5 or higher;
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.20 (Prior to fall 2018)
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.3 (Fall 2018 and beyond)