The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) at the University of New Mexico welcomes applications from students who have earned distinguished academic records and have the potential for developing excellent research abilities.
Below are ECE’s admission requirements to the M.S. and Ph.D. programs. The following items must be included in the online application:
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation.
- Statement of Purpose/Letter of Intent
- Official GRE Results* (GRE requirements temporarily waived for Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 applicants due to COVID-19.)
- Official IELTS/TOEFL Results* (International Applicants only)
* Official test results must be sent directly to the University of New Mexico. The TOEFL and GRE institution code for UNM is 4845; no department code needed. See test requirement chart below.
Application Deadlines for Regular ECE Programs
Managed Online Programs (MOPs), such as M.S. Computer Engineering-Internet of Things and M.S. Electrical Engineering-Space Systems are not subject to these deadlines. MOP applications may be submitted any time prior to the start of the term a student is applying for.
Regular program applicants are strongly encouraged to apply as early as possible. While all applications are considered for financial aid, those that submit their application by the “best consideration date” will have a greater chance of receiving support.
International applicants are automatically considered for the International Amigo Scholarship. Those selected are awarded a non-resident tuition waiver (valued at more than $11,000 per year). Amigo Scholarships are limited in number, so early applicants have a greater chance of receiving this scholarship.
|Best Consideration Date
(if requesting financial aid)
|Fall||January 31||March 31||July 15
|Spring||June 30||August 31||November 15
|GRE - Verbal (old/new)||400/146||450/150|
|GRE - Quantitative (old/new)||650/151||690/154|